I love the holidays and I love all the hoopla surrounding them but on the actual day I like to have a little free time to hang with my family as well, not just cook. So I’ve been trying to be uber prepared this year so I can have plenty of downtime. This of course means you’ve got to do a little bit here and there before the cook off begins. So here’s a few things I’ve been trying to get out of the way so I can be free as a bird………
1. Wash and prep your veggies. Depending upon how far in advance you are of the day, you can at least scrub them and if its the night before you can do a bit of chopping for say your stuffing etc.
2. Start setting aside your pieces of stale bread now. You can make a nice menagerie of types (whole wheat, sour dough and just plain white) and get them cube or torn and ready to be stuffed.
3. Make your pie dough and freeze it. This cuts a lot of time off and your pie dough will be nicely chilled already so you don’t have to put it in the fridge for 2 hours after you make it. I use a recipe from “Baking With Julia” and it yields either 4 pie crusts or 2 pies with tops.
4. Polish your serving pieces (or your silverware if you are super fancy). Clearly I haven’t gotten to these! But as you can see, I’ve got my work cut out for me. Wondering if I just do it with toothpaste (in lieu of toxic polish) if Imogen can get into this task? Keep you posted on that one.
5. Iron your table linens. This happens about twice a year if I’m lucky. :)